Tips/tricks for conducting internet research
From PsychWiki - A Collaborative Psychology Wiki
Considering doing an internet research project? Here are some tips. Feel free to add your own tips from your research experience.
- Sometimes you can find email lists of people who fit your study criteria.
- Try targetting people based on search engine terms they use using Google Adwords or Yahoo Search Marketing.
Types of Questions
- Internet surveys work great for sensitive or embarassing questions that require anonymity.
- Research shows that open ended questions are answered more thoughtfully online.
- Thoroughly test your study!
- Make sure any error/validation messages are as specific as possible.
- Take advantage of the technology to allow users to skip questions based on previous answers.
- Try not to put too many questions on a page (5 or less is ideal).
- Don't make too many required answers.
- Allow users to go back and forth if possible.
- Provide some feedback on study progress.
- Use multimedia where appropriate.
- Consider using free, open source databases like MySQL.
◄ Back to Collecting Data page