Public Relations and Media
From PsychWiki - A Collaborative Psychology Wiki
I recently attended a workshop on working with the Media given by the APA media director at SPSSI. Below are some of the tips I received at that session. Please add your own tips using the edit tab at the top of this page.
- Find out the reporters motivations before the interview.
- Consider creating a fact sheet that you disseminate before the interview.
- Do not wing an interview. Think of the facts that you want to convey ahead of time. Repeat them concisely.
- Stand up when doing an interview so that your energy level is higher.
- Be willing to say "I don't know" or refer them to a colleague if something is outside your expertise.
- Ask for a readback after the interview to ensure clarity of what they have said.
- Check with your university PR office as they can help get messages out as to how your research impacts social issues.
◄ Back to How to Publicize your Work