Using Psychwiki to enhance Professional Development Meetings at your school
From PsychWiki - A Collaborative Psychology Wiki
Almost every department has Professional Development meetings where students gain valuable knowledge and skills on a variety of topics to help them develop into independent researchers and teachers. Considering that no single mentor can provide all the different needs and requirements of each student for achieving their individual goals, Pro Dev meetings give students access to a larger pool of qualified professionals who can greatly expand the quality and quantity of the education experience.
- Psychwiki can be used to enhance professional development meetings by:
- Using the content within the Professional Development mainpage as a resource for the information presented at your Pro Dev meetings.
- Using the wiki software to help coordinate and preserve the information from your meetings. See an example from the USC Psychology Department and see below for more details about using PsychWiki to help your school's professional development meetings.
Create a stand-alone webpage within PsychWiki for your school's professional development meetings. The advantages of using a wiki include:
- Before the meetings:
- the webpage serves as the centralized information hub for the meetings including presenting a schedule of upcoming events (e.g., dates/times of the meetings, topics of each meeting, names of speakers, etc.),
- the unique ability of a wiki to allow anyone to add content to the "Article" page means that prior to each meeting students can easily post questions to the presenter, which then allows the presentation to be tailored to the student’s needs and concerns,
- After each meeting:
- another benefit of being able to easily input content to the "Article" page is that the information presented at each meeting can easily be posted on the website,
- posting this information to the website allows continuous access to the information to both the students who attended the presentation and those who may have missed the presentation, including all those students who enter the program year after year,
All that we ask is that you integrate the information from your meetings into the Professional Development mainpage because this allows a group approach to mentoring in that there is an easy-to-access accumulated resource of knowledge from multiple experts who can provide different areas of expertise and experiences.
Its easy to integrate the information from your meetings into the Professional Development mainpage. If you are having a professional development meeting on a topic already on PsychWiki, then simply import your information into the existing link. If your Professional Development meeting is on a new topic, then after you create a new link for your schools, then simply post that link
New and innovative information technology tools have recently become available that can enhance traditional mentoring activities, and wikis are just one of them. The largest and most notable wiki is Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org) but there are over 1000 wiki communities worldwide, there were over 1 million downloads to wikis in 2004, and the Los Angeles Times experimented with using a wiki for their website in 2005.