Using Psychwiki to enhance Professional Development Meetings at your school
From PsychWiki - A Collaborative Psychology Wiki
Almost every department has Professional Development meetings where students gain valuable knowledge and skills on a variety of topics to help them develop into independent researchers and teachers.
- How can PsychWiki be used to enhance professional development meetings?
- Using the content within the "KnowledgeBase" on the mainpage as a resource for the information presented at your Pro Dev meetings.
- Creating a stand-alone webpage for your school's professional development talks to help coordinate and preserve the information from your meetings. See an example from the USC Psychology Department.
- How does creating a stand-alone webpage within PsychWiki enhance your school's professional development meetings?
- Before the meetings:
- the webpage serves as the centralized information hub for the meetings including presenting a schedule of upcoming events (e.g., dates/times of the meetings, topics of each meeting, names of speakers, etc.),
- the unique ability of a wiki to allow anyone to add content to the "Article" page means that prior to each meeting students can easily post questions to the presenter, which then allows the presentation to be tailored to the student’s needs and concerns,
- After each meeting:
- another benefit of being able to easily input content to the "Article" page is that the information presented at each meeting can easily be posted on the website,
- posting this information to the website creates an easy-to-access database of the information presented at your professional development talks.
- this helps your school by allowing continuous access to the information to both the students who attended the presentation and those who may have missed the presentation, including all those students who enter the program year after year.
- this helps everyone, including your school, by allowing experts from different schools to add their advice and expertise on any of the topics at any time so that the website can grow and evolve even after your pro dev talk is over.
- How do you post this information to the website?
- If your professional development meeting was about a topic already listed on PsychWiki, then simply import your information into the existing link.
- If your Professional Development meeting is on a new topic, then simply post that link to a new page when your meeting is over.
- You can also list the same links on your school's stand-alone professional development webpage so that there is a record of all prior talks. See an example from the USC Psychology Department.