Classic articles on prejudice, discrimination, and Intergroup relations
From PsychWiki - A Collaborative Psychology Wiki
Revision as of 01:37, 12 August 2008 by JSwim
Where does prejudice come from
- Tajfel, H. (1970). Experiments in intergroup discrimination. Scientific American, 223, 96-102.
- Brewer, M.B., (1991) The social self – On being the same and different at the same time. Personality and Social Psychology. 17(5): 475-482.
Do we hide our prejudices?
- Sigal, H. & Page, R. (1971). Current stereotypes: A little fading, a little faking. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 18(2), 247-255.
- Kinder, D. R., & Sears, D. O. (1981). Prejudice and Politics: Symbolic racism versus racial threats to the good life. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 40(3), 414-431
- Snyder, M. L., Kleck, R. E., Strenta, A., & Mentzer, S. J. Avoidance of the handicapped: An attributional ambiguity analysis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 37(12), 2297-2306.
How do our stereotypes affect other's behaviors?
- Merten, R.K. (1948). The self-fulfilling prophecy. Antioch Review, 8, 193-210.
- Word, C. O., Zanna, M. P., Cooper, J. (1974). The nonverbal mediation of self-fulfilling prophecies in interracial interaction. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 10, 109-120.
- Snyder, M., Tanke, E.D., & Bersheid, E. (1977). Social perception and interpersonal behavior: On the self-fulfilling nature of social stereotypes. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 35, 656-666.
- Rosenthal, R., & Jacobson, L. (1966). Teachers' expectancies: Determinants of pupils' IQ gains. Psychological Reports, 19, 115-118.
How do we improve intergroup experiences/decrease prejudice?
- Sherif, M. (1956). Experiments in group conflict. Scientific American, 195, 54-58.
- Rokeach, M. (2003). Long-range experimental modification of values, attitudes, and behavior. In S. Plous, Understanding Prejudice and Discrimination (pp. 474-480). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Aronson, E., & Bridgeman, D. (1979). Jigsaw groups and the desegregated classroom: In pursuit of common goals. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 5(4), 438-446.
What is it like to be a target of prejudice and stereotypes?
- [[Clark, K. B., Chein, I., & Cook, S. W. (2004). The effects of segregation and the consequences of desegregation A (September 1952) social science statement in the brown v. board of education of topeka supreme court case. American Psychologist, 59(6), 495-501.]]
- Cross, W.E. (1971). Negro-To Black conversion experience. Black World, 20, 13-27.
- Kleck, R. E., & Strenta, A. (1980). Perceptions of the impact of negatively valued physical characteristics on social interaction. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 39(5), 861-873.
- Steele, C.M., & Aronson, J. (1995). Stereotype Threat and the intellectual test-performance of African-Americans. Journal of personality and Social Psychology, 69 (5): 797-811.