Classic articles on Attitudes
From PsychWiki - A Collaborative Psychology Wiki
Revision as of 20:27, 10 September 2008 by JSwim
What are attitudes
- Katz, D. (1960). The functional approach to the study of attitudes. Public Opinion Quarterly, 24, 163-204.
Attitudes predicting behaviors
- LaPiere, R.T. (1934)Attitudes versus actions. Social Forces,230 - 237.
- LaPiere, R.T. (1936). Type-rationalizations of group antipathy. Social Forces, 232-237.
- Wicker, A. W. (1969). Attitudes versus actions: The relationship of verbal and overt behavioral responses to attitude objects. Journal of Social Issues, 25(4), 41-78.P8 3. How can we persuade others?
Behaviors predicting attitudes.
- Festinger, Leon; Henry W. Riecken, Stanley Schachter (1956). When Prophecy Fails: A Social and Psychological Study of a Modern Group that Predicted the Destruction of the World. University of Minnesota Press. ISBN 1-59147-727-1. Reissued 2008 by Pinter & Martin with a foreword by Elliot Aronson, ISBN 978-1-905177-19-6.
- Festinger, L., & Carlsmith, J. M. (1959). Cognitive consequences of forced compliance. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 58, 203-210.
- Aronson, E. & Mills, J. (1959). The effect of severity of initiation on liking for a group. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 59, 177-181.
- Brehm, J. W. (1956) Postdecision changes in the desirability of alternatives, Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 52, 384-389.
- Bem, D. (1965). An experimental analysis of self-persuasion. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 1, 199-218.
- Sherif, C., Sherif, M., & Nebergall, R. (1965). Attitude and attitude change: The social judgment-involvement approach. Philadelphia: Saunders.
- Janis, I. L., & Feshbach, S. (1953). Effects of Fear arousing communications. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 48, 78-92.
- Rogers, R. W. (1975). A protection motivation theory of fear appeals and attitude change. The Journal of Psychology, 91, 93-114.
- Petty, R. E., & Cacioppo, J. T. (1986). The Elaboration likelihood model of persuasion. In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 19.
- Brehm, J. W. (1966) A theory of psychological reactance, New York: Academic Press
- McGuire, W. J. (1964) Inducing resistance to persuasion, In L. Berkowitz (ed.) Advances in experimental social psychology (Volume 1, pp. 192-229), New York: McGraw-Hill.
◄ Back to Class Web Site